- 450g/1lb Self-rising flour
- 1 tbsp Butter, softened
- 210ml/7fl.oz. Milk
- approx 120ml/4fl.oz. Water
1. Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, gas Mark 7 and grease and flour a baking sheet.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour and the salt.
3. Cut or rub the butter into the flour then make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in the milk and most of the water.
4. Stir with a knife until the dough comes together adding a little more of the water if necessary to form a slightly sticky dough.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and form into a round loaf about 20cm/8 inches in diameter.
6. Place the loaf onto the prepared tin and using a sharp knife, cut a cross into the top then bake for 25 minutes.
7. Turn the oven off and leave the loaf in the oven for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. The loaf should sound hollow when tapped.
» Australia Recipes